Skip to main content

Disciplined Service

John 12:26
“Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.”
In all honesty, I had no idea what the Lord was attempting to convey to me through this verse as I read it for the first time, the second time, and even the third time. Even after prayer and meditation, still I was left dry and without words. Then the Lord told me to read Hebrews, which is something He has been urging me to do for a quite a while. Immediately, I was drawn to Hebrews 12:10-11 which says, “…but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” Discipline has been a reoccurring theme for me during these past few weeks, whether it be from being disobedient or simply from not wanting to do what has been asked of me. Being rebuked is something I have never been fond of because instead of accepting it, I tend to try and reason in my head why I am right and why the person rebuking me is wrong. Yet, God says, “humble yourself, listen, and obey.” Just as the verse says, discipline is not pleasant when it is being received, but when we are faithful to humble ourselves, listen, and obey, we are able to see the vision in which discipline brings forth for the future. What does this have to do with serving the Lord? If there is no discipline, there is no servant. The Lord calls us to be servants, but if we are not disciplined in completing what is being asked of us, then we are not serving Him, we are disobeying Him. I have never been one to serve willingly, but during my time here, the Lord has been humbling me to realize that the tedious tasks I do are for Him. Whether it be cleaning the same sanctuary twice a week or deep cleaning the kitchen for it to be dirtied again during dinner that same night, at least I have a clean place to worship and a delicious meal to eat everyday. The Lord has given me an incredible opportunity to take advantage of during this season of my life and with that comes the responsibility of caring for what He has provided to me. 

Application
Today, I will write “humble yourself, listen, obey” on my arm as a reminder that it is not always about me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vision for Success

Acts 5:29 “Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!” Peter is referring to the high priest who is accusing the apostles of teaching the word of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem when He specifically ordered them not to. Peter follows this rebuke with, “We must obey God rather than human beings!” There is only One in which we are to obey fully, and He is the Man who bled and died. Regardless of how mighty someone is placed in the world, the Lord knows everyone for who they are, sinners in need of a savior. Everyone has their alcohol, even those in authority. How can we obey authority that sins? Romans 13:1 says, “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.” Everyone submits to someone because without authority, there is no order, and without order, there is chaos. However, there is a difference between godly authority and worldly authority. The difference is godly authority

Picture Perfect

Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a god work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” They say that good things take time but to be completely and utterly transformed into the likeness of Jesus takes a lifetime. I will never reach perfection until I meet Jesus face to face at the gates of eternal paradise but this by no means indicates that He will keep me at a standstill. In fact, with confidence I am able to state that by His gracious hand, a good work has indeed begun within me and will continue as long as I remain willing. I have recently been reading “The Making of a Man of God”, written by Alan Redpath, which gives a clear summary of what having a willing heart looks like, stating: “Let a man be right with God, reconciled through the blood of the cross, humbled at the foot of Calvary; let him be broken, coming to God guilty and hopeless and needy; and at that moment God takes hold of him and transforms and uses all his

Overwhelming Conflict

Psalms 91:2 “I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.””  This past Sunday, team Uganda had the privilege to lead the two church services. From worship to the sermon, the Lord was present. Having never sung in front of really anyone to being on the worship team and having not one, but two solos, was rather frightening. In addition to having a spirit of fear, the morning of, I was faced with a myriad of conflict as a glob of toothpaste dropped slyly onto the shirt I was planning on wearing, I did not have a necklace to match the shirt I then had to put on, and I ran out of time for curling my hair and ironing my skirt. I knew the enemy was seeking to do whatever he could to focus my eyes on myself rather than on what the Lord was attempting to do in and through me for that day, but I was already defeated and left wondering how a day that had begun so terribly could have a positive outcome. I needed a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit f