Skip to main content

Maturity in Christ

Philippians 3:12-13
“Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.” 
We will never reach perfection but we must strive to become more like Jesus everyday. In that, we must accept that we are not our own, laying down our life to live out His. We are oftentimes forgetful of what Christ has sacrificed for us and that in His sacrifice there is nothing too mighty for Him to overcome. Once we truly understand this, we are able to surrender our struggles to Him and allow Him to fight for us. Thus, the more we are able to surrender thoughts, feelings, emotions, circumstances, and situations to the Lord, the more we become like Paul who says in Acts 20:24, “But none of these things move me.” Maturity in Christ arises when certain aspects of our lives that used to cause us grief no longer have any effect on us. Anger has kept me in bondage for nearly all of my adult years as it is my initial response when situations become awry. I have always assumed that it was because I was miserable with my career in the health field that I was angry, but after working at MudMan this past week, the Lord has revealed to me that misery follows a negative attitude and an angry heart regardless of where I may be. Though I pray constantly for the Lord to rid me of my anger, more often than not, I refuse to surrender and therefore cannot have victory. It is not until I completely surrender to the Lord what I believe to be my right in acting out angrily that He can truly release me from the bond that has kept me captive for far too long. 

Application
Today, I will keep my mind focused on Christ by fasting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vision for Success

Acts 5:29 “Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!” Peter is referring to the high priest who is accusing the apostles of teaching the word of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem when He specifically ordered them not to. Peter follows this rebuke with, “We must obey God rather than human beings!” There is only One in which we are to obey fully, and He is the Man who bled and died. Regardless of how mighty someone is placed in the world, the Lord knows everyone for who they are, sinners in need of a savior. Everyone has their alcohol, even those in authority. How can we obey authority that sins? Romans 13:1 says, “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.” Everyone submits to someone because without authority, there is no order, and without order, there is chaos. However, there is a difference between godly authority and worldly authority. The difference is godly authority

Picture Perfect

Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a god work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” They say that good things take time but to be completely and utterly transformed into the likeness of Jesus takes a lifetime. I will never reach perfection until I meet Jesus face to face at the gates of eternal paradise but this by no means indicates that He will keep me at a standstill. In fact, with confidence I am able to state that by His gracious hand, a good work has indeed begun within me and will continue as long as I remain willing. I have recently been reading “The Making of a Man of God”, written by Alan Redpath, which gives a clear summary of what having a willing heart looks like, stating: “Let a man be right with God, reconciled through the blood of the cross, humbled at the foot of Calvary; let him be broken, coming to God guilty and hopeless and needy; and at that moment God takes hold of him and transforms and uses all his

Overwhelming Conflict

Psalms 91:2 “I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.””  This past Sunday, team Uganda had the privilege to lead the two church services. From worship to the sermon, the Lord was present. Having never sung in front of really anyone to being on the worship team and having not one, but two solos, was rather frightening. In addition to having a spirit of fear, the morning of, I was faced with a myriad of conflict as a glob of toothpaste dropped slyly onto the shirt I was planning on wearing, I did not have a necklace to match the shirt I then had to put on, and I ran out of time for curling my hair and ironing my skirt. I knew the enemy was seeking to do whatever he could to focus my eyes on myself rather than on what the Lord was attempting to do in and through me for that day, but I was already defeated and left wondering how a day that had begun so terribly could have a positive outcome. I needed a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit f