Skip to main content

More than a Servant

John 15:15
“I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.”
A friend is a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection. Friends are those who know each other, love each other, and help each other during times of need. Jesus called us, His chosen people, His friends because we are more than simply servants to Him. Jesus longs to have eternal relationships with us, but like with friends, we are able to choose how deep our relationship with Him is. The deeper a friendship, the more walls fall and the more gruesome parts of personal lives are revealed that otherwise would not be. Such is like Jesus, who the more we spend time with, the more we learn about Him and the more we are willing to tell Him about us. When we learn about the Lord and the reckless love He has for us, why would we not want to be friends with Him? Our God longs for nothing more than an honest, open relationship with those who He created. Like the initial parts of friendship, there is nothing more intimidating than crying out to the Lord regarding the deepest parts of ourselves in which we carry an abundance of shame, but soon we are able to realize that He wants nothing more than to heal us, molding us to be more like Him in the process. He wants nothing more than for us to be completely engulfed in His presence where He is always there and will always find us. During my time here at IGNITE, a reoccurring theme has been love. Love has always been a sore subject for me because I simply do not understand it. I have never felt as though the love people had for me was genuine, but forced. To learn that the Lord not only wants to be my friend but has a genuine, unconditional love for me is sometimes incomprehensible and yet, it is only the beginning of an eternal friendship. Jesus is my friend, my savior, He’s my rock, and my redeemer, and I am His.

Application

Today, I will write “More than a servant” on my arm as a reminder that Jesus is my friend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelming Conflict

Psalms 91:2 “I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.””  This past Sunday, team Uganda had the privilege to lead the two church services. From worship to the sermon, the Lord was present. Having never sung in front of really anyone to being on the worship team and having not one, but two solos, was rather frightening. In addition to having a spirit of fear, the morning of, I was faced with a myriad of conflict as a glob of toothpaste dropped slyly onto the shirt I was planning on wearing, I did not have a necklace to match the shirt I then had to put on, and I ran out of time for curling my hair and ironing my skirt. I knew the enemy was seeking to do whatever he could to focus my eyes on myself rather than on what the Lord was attempting to do in and through me for that day, but I was already defeated and left wondering how a day that had begun so terribly could have a positive outcome. I needed a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit f

Vision for Success

Acts 5:29 “Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!” Peter is referring to the high priest who is accusing the apostles of teaching the word of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem when He specifically ordered them not to. Peter follows this rebuke with, “We must obey God rather than human beings!” There is only One in which we are to obey fully, and He is the Man who bled and died. Regardless of how mighty someone is placed in the world, the Lord knows everyone for who they are, sinners in need of a savior. Everyone has their alcohol, even those in authority. How can we obey authority that sins? Romans 13:1 says, “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.” Everyone submits to someone because without authority, there is no order, and without order, there is chaos. However, there is a difference between godly authority and worldly authority. The difference is godly authority

Picture Perfect

Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a god work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” They say that good things take time but to be completely and utterly transformed into the likeness of Jesus takes a lifetime. I will never reach perfection until I meet Jesus face to face at the gates of eternal paradise but this by no means indicates that He will keep me at a standstill. In fact, with confidence I am able to state that by His gracious hand, a good work has indeed begun within me and will continue as long as I remain willing. I have recently been reading “The Making of a Man of God”, written by Alan Redpath, which gives a clear summary of what having a willing heart looks like, stating: “Let a man be right with God, reconciled through the blood of the cross, humbled at the foot of Calvary; let him be broken, coming to God guilty and hopeless and needy; and at that moment God takes hold of him and transforms and uses all his