Skip to main content

The Road Less Traveled

Matthew 18:15
“If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.”
Hebrews 12:10-11 says, “God disciplines us for our own good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” What better way to love a brother or sister in Christ than to redirect them onto the road less traveled? There have been many times in my life where I have been confronted. As the receiver, I had the ability of reacting in one of two ways: I could continue in my sin or I could respect that what I was doing was sinful and change. As I look back, I ponder in thought about how grateful I am for those who loved me so much as to sit me down and point out to me that what I was doing was against the Word of God. Of course, there were many other times where I chose to ignore the rebuke and continue in rebellion, causing more harm to myself in the end. Though these times of discipline were uncomfortable and sometimes awkward, they were necessary because it was in those moments of vulnerability that brought forth individual growth and strengthened relationships. Over time, I have realized that the only people who rebuke me are those who acquire the heart of the Lord and desire nothing more than to see me share in his holiness, as Hebrews 12:10 says. When it comes to others, it is just as uncomfortable to confront as it is to be confronted. Though I am usually always on the receiving end of rebukes, there have been a handful of instances where I have dealt them, too. I have always found it important to remember that when it comes to confronting others, it is about nothing other than promoting change for the person being confronted. When we approach others who are in sin with this attitude, love becomes the reason and Christ remains the center. 

Application
Today, I will write down the rebukes in which I have received since being here and recognize the growth that has come from them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelming Conflict

Psalms 91:2 “I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.””  This past Sunday, team Uganda had the privilege to lead the two church services. From worship to the sermon, the Lord was present. Having never sung in front of really anyone to being on the worship team and having not one, but two solos, was rather frightening. In addition to having a spirit of fear, the morning of, I was faced with a myriad of conflict as a glob of toothpaste dropped slyly onto the shirt I was planning on wearing, I did not have a necklace to match the shirt I then had to put on, and I ran out of time for curling my hair and ironing my skirt. I knew the enemy was seeking to do whatever he could to focus my eyes on myself rather than on what the Lord was attempting to do in and through me for that day, but I was already defeated and left wondering how a day that had begun so terribly could have a positive outcome. I needed a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit f

Vision for Success

Acts 5:29 “Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!” Peter is referring to the high priest who is accusing the apostles of teaching the word of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem when He specifically ordered them not to. Peter follows this rebuke with, “We must obey God rather than human beings!” There is only One in which we are to obey fully, and He is the Man who bled and died. Regardless of how mighty someone is placed in the world, the Lord knows everyone for who they are, sinners in need of a savior. Everyone has their alcohol, even those in authority. How can we obey authority that sins? Romans 13:1 says, “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.” Everyone submits to someone because without authority, there is no order, and without order, there is chaos. However, there is a difference between godly authority and worldly authority. The difference is godly authority

Picture Perfect

Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a god work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” They say that good things take time but to be completely and utterly transformed into the likeness of Jesus takes a lifetime. I will never reach perfection until I meet Jesus face to face at the gates of eternal paradise but this by no means indicates that He will keep me at a standstill. In fact, with confidence I am able to state that by His gracious hand, a good work has indeed begun within me and will continue as long as I remain willing. I have recently been reading “The Making of a Man of God”, written by Alan Redpath, which gives a clear summary of what having a willing heart looks like, stating: “Let a man be right with God, reconciled through the blood of the cross, humbled at the foot of Calvary; let him be broken, coming to God guilty and hopeless and needy; and at that moment God takes hold of him and transforms and uses all his