Skip to main content

Willing to Serve

Matthew 20:26-28
“Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave - just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and to give him his life as a ransom for many.”
The Son of Man came to serve…what a thought to ponder. Our God, our Heavenly Father sent His only Son to save us, and not only did He die on the cross, but He did so, so much more. Christ was the perfect example in everything He came to accomplish including leading, discipling, and serving. But we must not forget about those disciples who followed Jesus until He was crucified and continued to spread the Good News of the Gospel thereafter. Those great leaders came from being great followers. Peter, one of Jesus’ twelve disciples, faithfully followed Jesus through the hardships and victories while Jesus was alive and became a great leader after He ascended into Heaven. Peter was a great leader because not only was he a great follower, but because he was far from perfect. Great leaders make mistakes and Peter, even after denying Christ three times, became the cornerstone for the church. He gave his time and effort into ensuring that those under him were taken care of before himself, as the verse says, “just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve.” Servants must be willing to serve and this speaks mountains of Christ’s character and the love He truly had and will continue to have for His people, that He would “give his life as a ransom for many.” I do not know about you but I do not know anyone willing to give their life for anyone but themselves, which speaks volumes about humanity as a whole. Regardless of who you are, you are a follower to someone, and it is up to you if you want to be a great follower or not. Though sometimes we might not agree with the authority placed above us, we must submit ourselves and serve them humbly as Christ did for us.

Application
Today, I will ask my leaders if there is anything I can do to serve them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overwhelming Conflict

Psalms 91:2 “I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.””  This past Sunday, team Uganda had the privilege to lead the two church services. From worship to the sermon, the Lord was present. Having never sung in front of really anyone to being on the worship team and having not one, but two solos, was rather frightening. In addition to having a spirit of fear, the morning of, I was faced with a myriad of conflict as a glob of toothpaste dropped slyly onto the shirt I was planning on wearing, I did not have a necklace to match the shirt I then had to put on, and I ran out of time for curling my hair and ironing my skirt. I knew the enemy was seeking to do whatever he could to focus my eyes on myself rather than on what the Lord was attempting to do in and through me for that day, but I was already defeated and left wondering how a day that had begun so terribly could have a positive outcome. I needed a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit f

Vision for Success

Acts 5:29 “Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!” Peter is referring to the high priest who is accusing the apostles of teaching the word of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem when He specifically ordered them not to. Peter follows this rebuke with, “We must obey God rather than human beings!” There is only One in which we are to obey fully, and He is the Man who bled and died. Regardless of how mighty someone is placed in the world, the Lord knows everyone for who they are, sinners in need of a savior. Everyone has their alcohol, even those in authority. How can we obey authority that sins? Romans 13:1 says, “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.” Everyone submits to someone because without authority, there is no order, and without order, there is chaos. However, there is a difference between godly authority and worldly authority. The difference is godly authority

Picture Perfect

Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a god work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” They say that good things take time but to be completely and utterly transformed into the likeness of Jesus takes a lifetime. I will never reach perfection until I meet Jesus face to face at the gates of eternal paradise but this by no means indicates that He will keep me at a standstill. In fact, with confidence I am able to state that by His gracious hand, a good work has indeed begun within me and will continue as long as I remain willing. I have recently been reading “The Making of a Man of God”, written by Alan Redpath, which gives a clear summary of what having a willing heart looks like, stating: “Let a man be right with God, reconciled through the blood of the cross, humbled at the foot of Calvary; let him be broken, coming to God guilty and hopeless and needy; and at that moment God takes hold of him and transforms and uses all his