Skip to main content

Overwhelming Conflict

Psalms 91:2
“I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”” 
This past Sunday, team Uganda had the privilege to lead the two church services. From worship to the sermon, the Lord was present. Having never sung in front of really anyone to being on the worship team and having not one, but two solos, was rather frightening. In addition to having a spirit of fear, the morning of, I was faced with a myriad of conflict as a glob of toothpaste dropped slyly onto the shirt I was planning on wearing, I did not have a necklace to match the shirt I then had to put on, and I ran out of time for curling my hair and ironing my skirt. I knew the enemy was seeking to do whatever he could to focus my eyes on myself rather than on what the Lord was attempting to do in and through me for that day, but I was already defeated and left wondering how a day that had begun so terribly could have a positive outcome. I needed a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit for sure. Surely enough, that is what I received. Mike Slack, who recently arrived in Uganda with his wife, Judy, to serve under Potter’s Field, touched on the topic of being overwhelmed by conflict in the morning devotional. How fitting! The Lord knew I needed His comfort and strength but also reminded me that I needed to first trust Him to give me both. Mike also touched on being in the Lord’s will, stating that he does not always know that he is walking in the will of God for his life, but he is quick to know when he steps out. I know I was called to Uganda to serve under Potter’s Field for 180 days. Likewise, I knew I was called to perform on stage for Ignite Sunday to worship the Lord with the voice He had given me. Nothing. Else. Mattered. As I continued to listen to Mike preach his last encouraging words, I began to realize that by allowing the Holy Spirit to penetrate my heart, the enemy could no longer have victory. The day that I had wanted to be perfect in every way was surrendered to the Lord to do what He willed with it, even if that meant the conflict that I had been surrounded by that morning continued. But our God is compassionate, He is rich in love and full of mercy and His will for my life that day was not to endure more conflict but to realize that I needed to be completely dependent on Him, even in the petty aspects of my life. As I prepared to sing my first solo, “In Christ Alone,” I was able to share this verse, Psalms 91:2, with the congregation because in the midst of conflict, my hope was found in Christ alone.

Application
This week, I will set reminders in my phone for every hour to pray for each person that has positively effected my life during my time in Uganda. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Picture Perfect

Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a god work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” They say that good things take time but to be completely and utterly transformed into the likeness of Jesus takes a lifetime. I will never reach perfection until I meet Jesus face to face at the gates of eternal paradise but this by no means indicates that He will keep me at a standstill. In fact, with confidence I am able to state that by His gracious hand, a good work has indeed begun within me and will continue as long as I remain willing. I have recently been reading “The Making of a Man of God”, written by Alan Redpath, which gives a clear summary of what having a willing heart looks like, stating: “Let a man be right with God, reconciled through the blood of the cross, humbled at the foot of Calvary; let him be broken, coming to God guilty and hopeless and needy; and at that moment God takes hold of him and transforms and uses all his

Vision for Success

Acts 5:29 “Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!” Peter is referring to the high priest who is accusing the apostles of teaching the word of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem when He specifically ordered them not to. Peter follows this rebuke with, “We must obey God rather than human beings!” There is only One in which we are to obey fully, and He is the Man who bled and died. Regardless of how mighty someone is placed in the world, the Lord knows everyone for who they are, sinners in need of a savior. Everyone has their alcohol, even those in authority. How can we obey authority that sins? Romans 13:1 says, “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.” Everyone submits to someone because without authority, there is no order, and without order, there is chaos. However, there is a difference between godly authority and worldly authority. The difference is godly authority

The Constant Battle

Proverbs 12:1 “Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.” To love instruction is to appreciate knowing the difference between how to succeed and how to fail. Of course, as fallen people we fail everyday, but to have been told blatant instruction, choose to do the opposite, and rebel against the rebuke that follows is, how Proverbs 12:1 puts it, “stupid.” Sometimes our pride causes difficulty in listening to the instruction of others simply because we feel that there is no better way than our own. Then, when we find ourselves being corrected for not following the instruction given to us, we become angry. Most often times, if the Lord is not speaking directly to us through His Word, He places specific people in our lives to give us instruction for our own benefit so that we may grow in wisdom and knowledge. When we do not listen, we are actively ignoring the instruction of the Almighty authority since He is who placed the instruction for us to