Skip to main content

Broken at Street Level

Colossians 4:6
“Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.”
We all seek improvement, we all seek to be better. When we find fault, so often times we attempt to become better in our own strength rather than laying our flaws down at the feet of Jesus. We assume that because the Lord has revealed a certain flaw to us that we need to fix it, but rather He wants us to come to Him at street level, broken, and willing to allow Him to be the vine in which His fruit flows from. Recently, the Lord has revealed to me the extent of negativity that I allow to flow from my lips into the ears of those around me. Hostile and cruel, I find myself responding in a way and a manner that is simply not glorifying to the Lord. I wish so desperately to have a humbled tongue, one that does not feel the need to respond to every comment with a seemingly bitter heart. But, Jesus says I do not need to wish, I just need to find myself in Him. When I find myself in Him, I am victorious in this area of weakness, because it is no longer me who dwells, but He who dwells in me, a victory that simply cannot be acquired by any other means. I soon find myself responding in love when I need to respond in love and the Lord humbling me when I do not need to respond at all. Of course, finding myself in Jesus is not a one time thing, but a constant surrender of what my flesh wants for what my spirit needs. If I strive after what my flesh wants, I am not broken before the Lord but attempting to be someone He has not given me the strength to be. So, Lord, let me be broken before You, being cleansed in Your blood and walking refreshed. Refreshed knowing that I do not have to attempt self-improvement, that I only need to reach for you. Let me rest assured in Your divine promises, that if I simply fall on my face in sincerity, You will be everything I need to overcome what overcomes me. 

Application
Today, I will apologize to my teammates with whom I have not kept short accounts with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purposeful Waiting

Lamentations 3:25 “The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him.” Waiting is difficult. So much so that waiting on the Lord seems almost unbearable. Because of my fallen nature, my mind is consumed with self, focusing on fulfilling the desires of my own heart rather than walking the path of righteousness that the Lord has set forth in front of me. Why? Because I assume that the plans which I create for myself are better than the plans of the One who created me. The Lord knows the desires of my heart, He placed them there purposefully. If only I would surrender them to Him, waiting on His good and perfect timing would not become such a heartache. I would not have to bear the consequences of wrongful decisions because my reliance and trust that the Lord is going to provide for me will prevent me from falling into the lie that compromise is okay. Compromise is the enemy receiving victory as I settle for less than what the Lord so desperately wants to give me ...

Running For His Glory

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore, I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: Not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.” “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run such a way that you may obtain it.” Matthew 22:14 sheds light on these verses as it states that, “Many are called but few are chosen.” Many are called to know Christ but few will choose the narrow path to follow HIm. The Christian life is difficult and being disciplined in the Lord can oftentimes give people a twisted perspective regarding who He really is. The Bible to some can seem like a ...

Peace, Be Still

Psalms 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God.” With less than one week left in Uganda, I am faced with the dire fact that a flood of goodbyes awaits me. How do I say goodbye to a country that I have fallen in love with over the course of is months? Be still. How do I readjust to the American way of living without falling back into habits of old? Be still. The Lord has given me the comforting words of Psalms 121:8, which has given me the strength to be confident in knowing that the Lord is in control, promising to preserve me in my coming and my going. Saying goodbye has never been and will never become easy, but there is peace in knowing that the Lord has confirmed the end of this season to begin the next. There is peace in knowing that it is not goodbye, but see you soon. There is peace in the stillness of trusting that God’s plan for my life is always in my best interest even heartache is involved. I remember quite fondly a time where I was not interested in coming to Africa a...