Skip to main content

Wise in Christ

James 3:13-17
“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthy, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. But the wisdom that comes from heaven is fist of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.”

James is one of my favorite books of the Bible. In fact, I have almost all of these verses underlined and as I sit here and pray about what to write, the question that comes to mind is how does one inherit wisdom from God? For one, by asking, but also, by reading and studying His Word. When I apply the knowledge from what I have studied to my life, I become wise in Christ. The verse that speaks to me the most when I read this chapter is, “For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.” We cannot inherit wisdom if we do not let go of the things that keep us from growing closer to the Lord. I am by far guilty of holding jealousy in my heart and being selfish in almost every aspect of my life. These hidden, yet very noticeable characteristics, are hindering the plan the Lord has for my life because as James says in chapter three verse eleven, “Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?" How can the Holy Spirit penetrate my heart if I continue to harbor these things deep inside? As week three is upon us, already there have been so many breakthroughs in my life that the Lord has shown me. It has been a daily prayer for Him to bring the things I struggle with to surface and almost every day, something new arises. It first amazes me just how much I have buried inside, and then I am amazed at how absolutely horrifying my flesh is. However, even with the Lord revealing these things, I do not feel as though anything is changing. I still feel angry, I still feel bitter, I still feel confused, but at the end of the day, these are still just feelings. In all reality, I need to ask the Lord to put my feelings aside and show me the truth because feelings are temporary but His truth is eternal. Through His truth and applying it to my life, I will become wise in Christ. 

Application
Every day this week, I will serve someone in my house selflessly and do it for the Glory of God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vision for Success

Acts 5:29 “Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!” Peter is referring to the high priest who is accusing the apostles of teaching the word of Jesus Christ to Jerusalem when He specifically ordered them not to. Peter follows this rebuke with, “We must obey God rather than human beings!” There is only One in which we are to obey fully, and He is the Man who bled and died. Regardless of how mighty someone is placed in the world, the Lord knows everyone for who they are, sinners in need of a savior. Everyone has their alcohol, even those in authority. How can we obey authority that sins? Romans 13:1 says, “Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established.” Everyone submits to someone because without authority, there is no order, and without order, there is chaos. However, there is a difference between godly authority and worldly authority. The difference is godly authority

Picture Perfect

Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a god work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” They say that good things take time but to be completely and utterly transformed into the likeness of Jesus takes a lifetime. I will never reach perfection until I meet Jesus face to face at the gates of eternal paradise but this by no means indicates that He will keep me at a standstill. In fact, with confidence I am able to state that by His gracious hand, a good work has indeed begun within me and will continue as long as I remain willing. I have recently been reading “The Making of a Man of God”, written by Alan Redpath, which gives a clear summary of what having a willing heart looks like, stating: “Let a man be right with God, reconciled through the blood of the cross, humbled at the foot of Calvary; let him be broken, coming to God guilty and hopeless and needy; and at that moment God takes hold of him and transforms and uses all his

Overwhelming Conflict

Psalms 91:2 “I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.””  This past Sunday, team Uganda had the privilege to lead the two church services. From worship to the sermon, the Lord was present. Having never sung in front of really anyone to being on the worship team and having not one, but two solos, was rather frightening. In addition to having a spirit of fear, the morning of, I was faced with a myriad of conflict as a glob of toothpaste dropped slyly onto the shirt I was planning on wearing, I did not have a necklace to match the shirt I then had to put on, and I ran out of time for curling my hair and ironing my skirt. I knew the enemy was seeking to do whatever he could to focus my eyes on myself rather than on what the Lord was attempting to do in and through me for that day, but I was already defeated and left wondering how a day that had begun so terribly could have a positive outcome. I needed a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit f